Saturday 13 August 2011

First semester of My MA fine art course


First semester work (MA Fine Art )

This is the statement that I wrote during the semester one;-

‘In this semester one, at first, I am trying to continue my journey, my previous art work (degree show), about connecting two places where I been located such as ‘The Reality’ and the ‘Other World’. Perhaps it could be the uncanny world which came from my inner subjective exprience such as emotion, feeling and past experience which I been through my whole life. Perhaps, It could be my dream and bring me to the uncanny place which either I been there or not. I tried to discover this concept since last year when I made my installation during my degree show but it ended not really satisfied.

However in this semester one, I begin with creating the Corridor sculpture which is ‘The Uncanny Corridor’ insyallation which based on my inner subjective emotion and also through my perspective view of the reality. To me, as an artist, I look the reality in two ways; looking the reality as a reality and also looking the reality as uncanny way, fantazising the world through the emotion and feeling. Sometimes feeling something missing in the world but adding the missing with the dream and the imagination. Using my own experience as architect to my fantasy world, which lead me to ‘The Uncanny Corridor’. With this issue, I used this for my installation and share with the audience about my feeling and looking their reaction and also their participation.

At first, I have not get the clue about the concept of this work but with the help of the documentation, feedback and also inspirational artist such as Thomas Hirschhorn, Mike Nelson, Miroslaw Balka, Bruce Nauman and perhaps Anish Kapoor work as well, especially the reflection of his mirror. It brings up the words that came into my mind called ‘the Displacement of myself’ which means myself, as an artist, always being inside my own head or my own world. I stuck in the world of Uncanny either it is true, fake or not. It sort of I am hiding behing the reality and looking the reality through the hole of darkness. It is similar with the concept of ‘Dream’ where at first, we sleep which symbolise of the door of the uncanny world going to be happen. Then in our dream everything is real especially if you do something or touch something in the dream. Then at the end, it comes out from the uncanny world once we wake up.

With some of my documentation, at first the work was not successful but with a lot of changes and improvising it especially the surrounding and the concept with the material, it gave me a clue on where to start, which easy for me to persue of what I can focus to. Perhaps on the next semester, I want to investigate more and development more idea regarding about ‘The Displacement’ through based on the practical and theory.’

However, I tried to continue my idea regarding connecting or shifting myself between the reality that I am living on and also the really inside my head or my own subjective emotion or experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment