Saturday 13 August 2011


When I was doing this work, I felt not really satisfied perhaps due to the rush moment I guess. I feel something not enough or missing in the installation. I think is because I was not concerntrating on the meaning of the work, maybe the material that I am using but instead that I was trying to identify the work through expression especially connecting two reality of being myself in present and the reality of Homeless-ness.

I like the idea of the sense being globe by the cardboard boxes. Can feel the heat and the hotness being inside the cardboard boxes. Feeling uncomfortable is what the works really are. The good thing about this installation that, all the material that I used were ‘free’ which no money involved except taping and screwing everything together. It sort of like a homeless people searching for what they need to built the shelter.

In this work, perhaps, it remind me of Dan Graham’s work.





It is a Two rooms of equal size, connected by an opening at one side, under surveillance by two video cameras positioned at the connecting point between the two rooms. The monitor which the visitor coming out of the other room spies first shows the live behavior of the people in the respective other room.

In both rooms, the second screens shows an image of behavior of the viewers in the respectively other room. It like these two rooms looking the viewer behavior each other but with an eight second delay.

The Time-lag of eight seconds is the outer limit of the neurophysiological short-term memory that forms an immediate part of our present perception and affect this. If you see your behaviour eight seconds ago presented on a video monitor, you will probably therefore not recognize the distance in time but tend to identify your current perception and current behaviour with the state eight seconds earlier. 

However in Dan Graham’s work, with the surveillance camera and the globe of the room, it makes the viewer trapped in a state of observation, in which your self-observation is subject to some outside visible control. You as the viewer experience yourself as part of a social group of observed observers (instead of, as in the traditional view of art, standing arrested in individual contemplation before an auratic object).



No comments:

Post a Comment