Wednesday 31 August 2011

MA INTERIM SHOW – ‘MATA’ Installation mid 2011

Basically the meaning of the word ‘MATA’ is came from a malay word called an ‘EYES’, which relation to the word ‘MELIAT’, means ‘Looking’. I choose this word as the main topic of this project because in this installation it is a metaphor of a displacement through vision, perception of life. I used the Eyes function to relate the main concept of displacement. It sort of looking through the detail of how eyes work to capture the vision.

Below is the documentation of my work during the MA interim show in our second semester. At first we were been told to choose the spot for the exhibition but unfortunately, I do not have enough choice for my work but I managed to deal with it and end up with this space below. Actually I dont mind where my work will be. It depend on the space where it given and as an artist we could create the work or suits the work with our own artistic mind. However, below is the documentation of the work.



My actual space for my installation during the MA exhibition

Before that, I edited the video for the projection which I wanted to show during the MA interim show. In that projection, it shows a metaphor moment or scene which I believe, it displace myself through my own vision especially escalator and the subway. It relation with the main meaning of those two words which ‘brings’ or ‘shift’ people from one place to another. Overall, the video shows a different location of places in London which I believe it displace myself from my comfort zone or a metaphor of displacement which occured to myself especially through perception of the surrounding or the perspective view of the scenery which I think a narrow image or narrow space could relate with sort of like Vortex concept. Sucking into a black hole and appear somewhere that I never been before.

However, below I showed the video that I made for the projection. But I was not really sure or confident with this video that I made. It feels something missing inside the video but I’m still dont have any clue about it.


 video for the projection

I started with experimenting with different kind of position to make this cycle works with the space. However, there are lots of boundaries that I need to focus with, which are the space for the viewer to walk pass or to give them a space for closer view and also the equivalent of the evironment shape such as the window, the shape of the projection with the television and everything must be in equal but the most important thing is that the health and safety risk which are the organisation of the wires and the equipment through the used of the space provided.

TRIAL AND EXPERIMENTATION






Here I tried to relate the television with the window especially the equal square shape










During this setting up session, it is pretty hard to deal with the space and the lights as to relating with the work because it have a lot of posibilities that I can do to create this piece.


At the end, I managed to finalise the position of the work relating with the space.

At the first place, i wanted to create a circle shape or triangle shape which creates a continuous cycle from the beginning until never end. Perhaps it could be a straight line, showing the process of how this installation works, from one stage to another. However, to suits the space with the work, I organise the piece with sort of geometry shape, a ‘L’ shape or 90 degrees angle. It is sort of like a calculation of science relating with the main concept of the work, which is the Eyes – function and the system of human body.

However, with this location or settings, I also try to relate with the equal geometry shape of the surrounding especially the square and rectangle shape of the windows. Its organising the more space rather than creating an abstract shape, which pretty hard to understand. As you can see the work mainly straight forward as the same function of our own eyes.












No comments:

Post a Comment