Sunday 14 August 2011

Installation - 'Mata' a perception of life




Basically I wanted to make a combination of art and technology to create art installation, perhaps, by using readymade technology objects as to subtitude the human eyes function. As you can see above, I was trying to representing the function of the eyes by using all these technologys equipment such as video camera, television, magnifying glass and the projector. I am focusing on the ‘perception of life’ which means displacing ourself by the surrounding. All that we remember were taken by the eyes. Basically the eyes is a subtitude of video camera, recording anything happen infront of it. All this idea came from my previous work, trying to improvise the main concept of displacement. I tried to move on from this two photograph (below) and improvise more the meaning of displacement using other medium. As I said before, we all displace by the surrounding and vision by looking at things. At this stage, I located a spot for making a video for this installation in London.


Taken from my previous work 'The Uncanny Corridor'

LOCATION : London as part of Displacement


The reason why I choose London as a subject for this installation because I am considering about displacing myself, living in other country without family and far from homeland. Surviving and living independently. But with the long time period, everything changes from day to day, weeks by weeks and year by years. Obviously london is the busy place with a lot of people, cars, huge building and always alert everytime walking on the street. It started from the first step I came to london seeing new things especially the people and the culture. I felt really tiny and small. Feel really shy to talk with other people because english is not my first language. From there, all this memories captured by my naked eyes and stored into my brain until it faded by itself. However, the methodology is using the EYES as a perception of life. 

LOCATION in LONDON


            SCENERY                                            +                                 SUBWAY


                  +                           ‘ELEMENT OF DISPLACEMENT’                 +

      PUBLIC ESCALATOR                                   +                          ROAD/BUILDINGS


I choose these places as part of my displacement such as the scenery in london, subway underground, the public escalator and also the road with the tall building with it. However, the reason why I choose this elements because firstly, I choose the site as part of my first experience being inside huge or big country especially the culture. It is a starting point where I start to perceived through my eyes looking all my surrounding and make it them as my memory or experience. Although, all this subjects that I choose is a metaphor of the way I see things or surrounding which displace my self into a new environment. It is sort of like a combination of ‘PERCEPTION’ and ‘PERSPECTIVE’ such as subway underground, it brings/ carried/ transport peoples from one place to another which almost same the public escalator or staircase. It helps the people to move from one stage to another.

In this work, I did it as a cycle of the eyes which is all about how the eyes see things to see the object or space for the memories or experience. However, I started this work by taking the video of the sites randomly choosing without any plan. It depend on where I go and where I stop. It took me two days to record this video that I want in london. I spend one whole day walking alone in London searching the site that I want.

It got me thinking, when I used the underground alot moving from one place to another, and spending alot of time in the underground, im sort of like a human rat. Living inside a human size hole but with the transportation of the subway to go from one place to another. 






No comments:

Post a Comment