Saturday 13 August 2011

Uncanny Corridor

I started with creating my 'Uncanny Corridor'


The main entrance for my Corridor installation




Ignore the work hanging on the wall. That piece was done by one of my college name Timmy




Introduction of my work:

Basically the idea came from my personal feeling of being significant person, hiding from people and shifting myself from one place to another. It sort of like when you getting emotional and wanted to be far from the others or hiding from the others and suddenly it leads you to the bad thing. Something not really comfortable with the surrounding or mislead the way of life. But it is all plays with the inner emotion.  

The idea of using this corridor space is actually came up from the idea of transporting or carrying the people from one place to another and relating with my corridor, it brings the audience from the reality into my own world. Basically, I was trying to visualize or giving the picture for my audience to exprience being in a globe of my subjective experience (personal or my brain). Something like in Hayward Gallery in 2010, which their theme is about ‘Walking in my mind’. All the invited artist express themselves through their immersive installation such as, my inpired artist Thomas Hirrschorn. But with this installation, I wanted to express my feeling by creating this construction installation corridor hiding behind the reality, creating corridor inside the corridor. The actual corridor I moved it to the front, giving the gap for my own corridor. Inside their the audience could feel the experience being stuck in a moment of uncomfortable-ness. 




the INTERIOR of the work




this was taken during the construction




Once you entered the corridor, you will see these view full covered by boxes around the floor until up to the ceiling.




The view from the entrance and also from the exist




At the end you will comes out from this little tunnel


As you can see, the images above is actually the interior of this installation corridor. Living inside the darkness, stuck in somewhere outside of the reality in a moment, and everything covered with these everyday material, cardboard boxes. I considered to use the everyday material as part of the main subject which relate to the homeless-ness topic and also giving the viewer a familier picture of what these material can do to us. As you know that these material, when people said cardboard box, people will click something that we can put alot of stuff and can bring it everywhere or moving from one place to another. But in other reason, I used cardboard boxes to give the sense of texture, perhaps without the lights people would not recognise what they step on it. It all aim giving the audience the experience of somewhere lost.


Above and bottom images, either they are could be the entrance or the exit


Here are the entrance and the exit. But in this work, it depend on the viewer where they enter it or going out. However, as you can see the image on the left, the gap of the corridor is actually getting smaller and tighter which gives the viewer difficulty to get out. It sort of like making the viewer uncomfortable with this everyday materials. But the audience can do whatever they want to get out from that moment of something, whatever you can called it.

Video documentation of my corridor work



During the process making this installation, the mood or the aim was getting changing everytime fixing the cardboard boxes and also people giving good feedback. Some of them said to me that I am making my own secret rats tunnel but in human size. It depends on the viewer of what they think about this installation. The main aim about this work is to shift the people a moment somewhere inside my personal emotion or maybe in my mind. However, with lots of people coming around and playing, going into these uncanny tunnel corridor, all the boxes getting shrink and destroy by them. But to me its a good thing that people experience it and thats what these material usually been done by nature either they get destroy or throw it away into recycle bin.

But at the end of this work I managed to make some experiment with this installation using other medium such as ‘Lights’.



Experimenting using 'Lights'


The actual main entrance for my corridor







Experimenting using 'Red' light colour




Experimenting using 'Purple's lights 




Experimenting using 'Green'


No comments:

Post a Comment