Sunday 14 August 2011

SEMESTER 2 – developing/improvising the concept


During semester two, I focus more on the concept, trying to understand more about ‘displacement’. Here below is the summary of my second semester work:

‘In this semester two, I began with the developement of the main concept that I choose during the semester one, which is being ‘displace’ or displacement’. I just want to clarify the meaning of the concept that I am working on. In the Oxofrd dictionary, the word ‘displace’ is defined as a movement or shift from one place or position to another. Whereas in psychological term, ‘displacement’ is a process whereby strong negative or positive emotions are directed towards an object or person because they are, for some reasons unknown, blocked and redirected onto another object or person. Usually it happens if the person feels uncomfortable enough within their circumstances.

However, it started with the inspiration of my Photograph piece that I took from my previous work installation called ‘The Corridor’. I am interested with the idea of being displaced or physically displace through emotiona or experience that I have been throug, which some sort of claustrophobic situation and also being stuck in a moment somewhere that you never been before.

However, in this second semester, I started with creating my installation called ‘MATA’ which came from my own language, Malay word, the meaning in English is called ‘The Eyes’. The reason why I choose the eyes as part of the subject because all the memories and experience that I been through were recorded by my pupils, part of the eyes. It sort of like a perception of life, using an eyes to capture a glimpse of life and store it into the brain as memories and experience. The eyes is like a video camera which capture all the scenery anything that appeared infront of our naked eyes. In this piece, I used the function of the eyes, the cycle of how these eyes work to see the reality. It based on how the eyes recorded the visionand applied it into a visual installation using projecting video, video camera, magnifying glass and television.

I am also interested with the term of ‘looking beyond the reality’, which means ourselves were been displaced by our experience such as nature or objects. Sometimes we remember something when we see things. It sort of reminising of life or looking back all the memory through an object. It is something uncanny, dark, uncomfortable or alienated from reality which we did not realised it was exist as a mirror or reflection in our daily life. It is a metaphor of our inner subjective emotion and experience.

Most of my work were inspired by the reflection of mirror, water, rain and surrounding, which are the element of the nature and also psychology of mind and eyes, between the human behaviour and the surrounding. However, the most inspired artists that I related to are Anish Kapoor’s work, where he used a lot of reflection mirror creating an interaction with the audience to play with. The second artist is Devorah Sperber, where she creates an inverted pixel images and using the special custom magnifying globe device to see the actual image. In Anish Kapoor’s work the reflection is a mirror of our personality and experience. Whereas in Devorah situation, she has the same concept with Anish Kapoor I think, but I found out her work is more interesting and simple direct methodology looking through the reality of upside-down. However, for my future work, I wanted to explore more on how to create and interaction which can play with the audience’s mind and vision towards the reflecting images or upside down image using any other medium such as magnifying glass, mirror, aceteate or water.’

No comments:

Post a Comment